Are you preparing your child to be independent? Teaching your child life skills is not only important for self-care and sufficiency it also allows him to feel empowered, works on socialization and reasoning, and helps develop healthy self-esteem. This list of age-appropriate skills will help prepare your child for each stage of his life from preschool until the day he flies the coop.
Ages 2-3: Small Chores and Basic Grooming
This is the age when your child will start to learn basic life skills. By the age of three, your child should be able to:
- Help put his toys away.
- Dress himself (with some help from you).
- Put his clothes in the hamper when he undresses.
- Clear his plate after meals.
- Assist in setting the table.
- Brush his teeth and wash his face with assistance.